Lots of news tonight. It's been a while since the last update. That's what the start of a semester will do to you.
1) The University of Akron has inked a contract with SportsTime Ohio. Nine UA sporting events will be aired on STO this year. You can read more about it here.
2) The men's soccer team looked great in their exhibition yesterday against VCU. After a strange own goal after a David Meves slip during the 2nd minute, the Zips outshot VCU 12-2 to win 3-1.
Here are some pictures I took while at the game:
3) Anthony Ampaipatakwong, Darlington Nagbe, Kofi Sarkodie, and Zarek Valentin were all named Preseason All-Americans by Soccer America. The only other schools with multiple selections had no more than two players named to the team.
4) The women's basketball schedule has been released. Check out the full list here.
5) Patrick Nicely has been named the starter for this year's football squad. This comes as no surprise to any of us that were able to watch both Nicely and Matt Rodgers' play last year. For those who didn't, here's the story. After Chris Jacquemain was dismissed from the team, backup Rodgers filled in for a few games, only to throw one touchdown and a boatload of interceptions. After running straight into a few Ohio defenders and suffering a season ending injury, Nicely (a freshman) finished the year. He threw for over 1,300 yards and six touchdowns to a badly damaged receiving corps.
On the other hand, if Matt Rodgers has learned to throw the ball away instead of rushing headlong into a defensive firing squad, he will be a good backup if Nicely doesn't work out.
6) If you have been a fan of Zips football for the last ten years or so, check out this article from Professional Hustlers, which details where alumni are currently located (from Jason Taylor to Jabari Arthur).